Published by Astrid Beck,
This is Trinity College Great Gate, built from 1490-1530.
This gatehouse is older than Trinity College itself, which was founded by Henry VIII in 1546, combining older colleges called Michaelhouse and Kings Hall. The gatehouse was built as part of Kings Hall.
The gatehouse was finished in the reign of Henry VIII, and his statue is above the door. His original sceptre was been replaced by a chair leg (as a student joke, the chair leg is still there).
Trinity College is ranked to be first in the Tompkins Table.